Food is my passion. I find my inspiration in everyday life and LOVE to cook and create for family and friends. I'm a classically trained chef, but prefer to cook from the heart. Food adventures and experiments of a classically trained chef and hopeful journalist. Enjoy. - Jamie Wolff

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Zuppa Toscana Pizza

I can't quite remember where the inspiration for this pizza came from, other than the fact I am in love with the Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana Soup.  I know, I know Olive Garden is not real Italian food, but it is really delicious.  A good friend of mine created a home made version of the soup for a nice dinner surprise one night, so I decided I would flip the script and make it into a pizza.  The only thing I left out was the kale, because I think warm lettuce is gross.  I enjoy fully cooked greens, like sauteed spinach; but warmish greens, like on top of a pizza, just give me the creeps.  If you don't share my aversion add some kale to the top of your pizza when it comes out of the oven.  So for this pizza there a several things that need to be cooked before the pizza can be cooked.  I'll start with a list of those items and then move on to the assembly of the pie. 

1/2 lb ground Italian sausage.  Cook through, remove from pan, drain and save grease.  Set sausage aside and return the grease to the pan.
1/2 medium white onion, cut Julienne.  Saute in the reserved sausage grease.  Once they turn slightly brown, remove from pan but again leave the grease.
1 small red potato, sliced very, very thin.  Saute potato slices in reserved grease until brown and crispy.

****you will also need:
1 cup prepared Alfredo sauce.  If you can find a variety with extra garlic, go for that.  If not you can add a couple diced cloves while cooking your onions. 
1 tablespoon crushed red peppers
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan

I went with a medium white crust for this pizza, I wanted it nice and doughy to try to mimic the garlic bread sticks Olive Garden serves with everything. 

Roll your crust out and top with the Alfredo sauce, ground sausage, onions and potatoes.  Sprinkle the red peppers and finish with the two cheeses.

This one will cook for 12-15 mins in a 400 degree oven.




this month is almost over and I'm still going to try and get a breakfast pizza and nacho pizza up...wish me luck! 

Also next month it's back to the basics; I'm going to be working with the five mother sauces.

No comments:

Post a Comment