Food is my passion. I find my inspiration in everyday life and LOVE to cook and create for family and friends. I'm a classically trained chef, but prefer to cook from the heart. Food adventures and experiments of a classically trained chef and hopeful journalist. Enjoy. - Jamie Wolff

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Stuffed Mushroom Pizza

It's finally here!  The much anticipated stuffed mushroom pizza!  A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!  I can't believe that no one has done this before, seriously I am a genius. 

For this pizza a thick crust is a must, and I suggest the semolina crust.  It will give it a little extra texture to balance out the soft mushrooms.

For the mushrooms, clean them well and remove the stems (do not throw away). Place a small dollop of butter in each mushroom cap and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake at 400 for 10 mins or until mushrooms are soft.  Remove and let cool.


For the filling.  Start with 1/2 pound of spicy Italian sausage, cook, drain and set aside.  Dice a small onion, sautee until clear and tender, dice your mushroom stems and add them now, finally add one tablespoon of garlic to the pan, cook for another 30 seconds.  Remove from heat and add to the sausage.  Once this mixture is cool add in 1/2 cup ricotta cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.  (if the sausage and onions aren't cool the cheese will melt into a big goopy mess)  Add in some freshly chopped basil.  Stuff this mixture into your cool mushrooms.

Now back to the pizza, roll out your crust nice and thick, top with a red sauce.  Place your mushrooms randomly around the circle, take the leftover filling and sprinkle it around the rest of the pie.  Top generously with mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 400 for 12-15 mins or until crust is crispy and cheese is melted.

I think this is the perfect pizza to sprinkle with some crushed red peppers, but if your not a fan of spicy I would skip the crushed peppers.  

1 comment: