Food is my passion. I find my inspiration in everyday life and LOVE to cook and create for family and friends. I'm a classically trained chef, but prefer to cook from the heart. Food adventures and experiments of a classically trained chef and hopeful journalist. Enjoy. - Jamie Wolff

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Green Peace

I know I said stuffed mushroom is next and I PROMISE it is coming soon!  BUT....I needed a quick dinner last night and I had all the left over veggies from the BBQ veggie pizza so I threw together a twist on the veggie pie.  I'm calling this one green peace.  It's not revolutionary or anything but it is a delicious way to use up some greenage.  I'm sorta going through an obsessive phase with whole wheat so that was my choice for crust.  I rolled it really thin so I would have a crispy crust.  Everything else I used was green.  Starting with my sauce, a basil pesto.  I think I mentioned this already but this was a quick fix dinner, so please don't judge me for using pesto out of a jar.  (I will add a recipe for fresh pesto at the end of this blog)  On top of the pesto I added sliced zucchini, asparagus tips, thinly sliced green peppers, spinach, onions and diced mushrooms.  (ok maybe not everything was green).  I finished it with a sprinkle of parmigiano-reggiano cheese.  In the oven for 10 to 12 mins at 400 degrees.  Easy, fast, yummy dinner on the fly!  Enjoy!
******fresh pesto******
2 tbsp pine nuts
2 1/4 cups fresh basil
table salt
5 cloves garlic chopped
3/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp grated parm

Roast the pine nuts.  In a food processor (blender) combine all ingredients except the cheese.  Process for 10 second spurts.  Add the cheese and process for another 10 seconds.  Season with additional salt.  Use immediately.  Will hold for 1 to 2 days in an air tight container under refrigeration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment