Food is my passion. I find my inspiration in everyday life and LOVE to cook and create for family and friends. I'm a classically trained chef, but prefer to cook from the heart. Food adventures and experiments of a classically trained chef and hopeful journalist. Enjoy. - Jamie Wolff

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

MONSTER cupcakes!

These cupcakes were supposed to go up in May, as they were apart of my cupcake month.  I made a few different versions of these themed cupcakes for my too-cute-for-words nephews for their birthday parties.  I had planned to do all the photo editing and blog updating over memorial day weekend, however, mother nature had other plans for me.  I ended up spending the long weekend fussing over the wreckage of my car after it hit a deer.  No injuries, thank goodness, the only casualty was my time.

So here we go, MONSTER cupcakes! 
Since these cupcakes were meant for children ages one to five, I didn't bother with fancy flavors.  I made half chocolate and half vanilla to suit the taste buds of my little dinners.  The frosting is a basic butter cream with food coloring added.  I like to use butter cream for this type of decorating because you can pop them in the fridge or for a couple hours before delivering and the frosting will firm up making them a little more durable.

To make the 'furry' texture you need a star shaped pastry tip.  To start build up a bit of frosting in the center.
  Apply a little pressure to get the base started and ease up as you pull away.
Move your pastry bag in different directions to give the fur an unkempt look.

Use whatever candies you desire for spots, eyes, hair, tongues, ect.... M&M's, skittles, air heads and twizzlers are all great candy for these cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment