Food is my passion. I find my inspiration in everyday life and LOVE to cook and create for family and friends. I'm a classically trained chef, but prefer to cook from the heart. Food adventures and experiments of a classically trained chef and hopeful journalist. Enjoy. - Jamie Wolff

Monday, May 9, 2011

Cute as Bugs

I saw these adorable little buggies on the cover of a magazine in the grocery story.  I thought they would be perfect for a spring photo shoot.  They were so much fun to make, just think of all the possibilities.  The magazine cover I saw was defiantly for spring, all pastel colors.  I wanted some of my bugs to have a bit more punch, hence the bright red lady bugs.  The butterflies didn't turn out as well as I had hope for, but still a cute little treat.  I definitely had all my 'mommy' friends in mind this day, what a fun way to spend the afternoon with your kids.   

Bake any flavor of cupcake you like and allow them cool.  With a serrated knife cut off the tops of each cupcake.  Cut the tops in half.  With a smooth icing (like a butter cream), ice the top of your cake and use the frosting to attach the wings.  For a bug, attach the flat side down with one tip of each wing connected and a the other tips about 1/2 inch apart.  For a butterfly, attach the wings curved side down, connected in the middle.  Ice your wings as you see fit.  If you're in a hurry use the same color that you started with.  If you've got some time, play around with complementary colors (purple and green, blue and yellow, ect...)  With a steady hand, a pastry bag and some tips you can add all sorts of details.  If you're not a crafty decorator, stick with sprinkles, sparkles and candies. 

These were so much fun to make, I must say I've been bitten by the baking bug.  I'm feeling very cupcake inspired so stay tuned for more fun decorating tips and yummy recipes.











No comments:

Post a Comment