Food is my passion. I find my inspiration in everyday life and LOVE to cook and create for family and friends. I'm a classically trained chef, but prefer to cook from the heart. Food adventures and experiments of a classically trained chef and hopeful journalist. Enjoy. - Jamie Wolff

Monday, August 6, 2012

Corn Salsa

August is one of my favorite food months, there is always so much amazing fresh produce available this time of year.  For my family, that usually means more fresh veggies than we know what to do with.  With the massive amounts of veggies coming from my mom's gardens the only way be able to use them all without wasting is to turn them into things that can be canned and saved for later use.  This is one of my favorite uses of fresh produce, a salsa without tomatoes.  Fresh, zingy and just a touch of spice.  All my produce is fresh, however, if you don't have access to fresh corn (or its out of season) substitute sweet canned corn.


Ingredents:
3 cups corn, cooked, shucked and cooled
1/2 cups roasted red peppers, small dice
1 medium white onion, small dice
4 cloves garlic, fine dice
4-5 Thai chili's, fine dice
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
Salt and pepper

Mix all the produce together in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl  whisk together vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper.  Pour over the corn mixture, toss and chill.

This salsa is delicious served with just tortilla chips or try it in one of these warm applications:
Grilled into chicken and cheese quesadillas 
Stirred into couscous
Topper for tacos or enchiladas
Topper for leafy green salads (great with grilled chicken or fish)  




No comments:

Post a Comment