Food is my passion. I find my inspiration in everyday life and LOVE to cook and create for family and friends. I'm a classically trained chef, but prefer to cook from the heart. Food adventures and experiments of a classically trained chef and hopeful journalist. Enjoy. - Jamie Wolff

Monday, December 13, 2010

puppy chow

It's that time of year again. Everyone is celebrating the holiday season and it seems like you have an endless calender of events to attend. Most likely at least one (if not more) of your invitations says to bring a favorite dish to share. This treat is by no means my own recipe but it is a childhood favorite of mine. And I've found when taken to holiday parties its a pretty big crowd pleaser. I grew up eating this stuff so I assumed it was a well known snack however I had a friend inform me that she took it to a party in D.C. and thrilled everyone with her 'new dish'. So the next time you need a sweet indulgence sure to please the masses, give this a try.

9 cups chex mix
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

mix chocolate, peanut butter and butter in a microwavable safe bowl. Cook in one minute intervals, stirring in between intervals until smooth and creamy. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a gallon sized zip lock baggie with the chex mix and powdered sugar. Shake, shake, shake! When pieces are well coated its ready to enjoy. Keep fresh in an air tight container if you are not going to serve it right away.

Felling daring?? skip the peanut butter and use 1/2 cup of mint chips, butter scotch chips, peppermint or any of the other fun varieties of baking chips found at your local grocery store. You can also keep the original recipe and add in some chopped nuts or crushed candy pieces to jazz it up a bit.

1 comment: