Food is my passion. I find my inspiration in everyday life and LOVE to cook and create for family and friends. I'm a classically trained chef, but prefer to cook from the heart. Food adventures and experiments of a classically trained chef and hopeful journalist. Enjoy. - Jamie Wolff

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Strawberry Balsamic Jam











Today is August 2nd and according to the rules I should be starting a new 'thing'. However, I've never been a big fan of the rules and so I have decided to stick with preservation for another month. I just don't feel like I've covered all the bases. I've spent most my time in July focusing on jams, jellies and other fruit preserves. True, I had a little tastes of picking with my green beans but I feel like I have more area to cover. So August will be my first continuation. My plans include more pickling (I have about six pounds of cucumbers in my crisper right now) and a request for pickled watermelon that I'm not sure I can turn down. I'm also planning to work with the tomatoes growing on my patio to make salsas and sauces. I might work in a few more fruits as well. Time will tell...

In the mean time I will tell you about the strawberry Balsamic Jam pictured above. Unfortunately I can't describe the taste for you because I gave all my jam away! Of coarse Theary got a large jar as partial payment for her beautiful pictures and I gave the other jar to an old coworker and friend of mine who I meet for lunch last week. I always appreciate anyone who reads my blogs and was more than happy to share a treat. I think that is what I like best about these jams and jellies, they are so easy to share! And even to ship. So if you are a reader and are in another state (or country for my military friends) and want to try some pickles or jam send me a message and I will send you some food :) Anyways, back to the jam. The strawberries you want to use for this are the small slightly tart berries you find at the beginning of the season. They have more of a flavor punch than the larger juicy varieties you find in mid to late July. Of coarse if your trying to make this jam now, its ok, you can use the large strawberries just be sure to try it again next year with the small berries you find in late June.
This recipe came strait out of a book I got with my brand new library card. I chose it because the tang from the balsamic makes it a nice treat for breakfast but also allows this jam to be used in a more savory fashion as well. Perhaps as a base for a glaze for lamb or as a spread in a bread and cheese coarse. To make this jam you need 4 parts berries (cleaned and chopped) and 3 parts sugar. For those of you who are super kitchen illiterate, parts means equal portions. For example 4 cups berries to 3 cups sugar. And one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to each cup of sugar. Heat the berries until they boil (their natural juices will be released) then add the sugar, dissolve and reduce to a low simmer. Once the combination has thickened enough to coat a spoon add your vinegar and cook another 30 mins. Poor hot jam into hot jars and seal in boiling water for 15 minutes. Make sure the seal is set and enjoy when you please. If your jars don't seal properly you can always keep your jam in the refrigerator, just the same as you would an already open jar of jelly.

thank you to everyone for reading. Keep watching for at least one more jelly (I'm thinking apple, carrot ginger?) and lots of pickles, sauces and salsas!

No comments:

Post a Comment