Food is my passion. I find my inspiration in everyday life and LOVE to cook and create for family and friends. I'm a classically trained chef, but prefer to cook from the heart. Food adventures and experiments of a classically trained chef and hopeful journalist. Enjoy. - Jamie Wolff

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

sweeter than honey







This is round two of dish three from my first battle with honey. It was a huge success the first go round however I was the only person lucky enough to taste it. So when Miss Theary wanted to plan another food shoot I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to share this dish. As a bonus Theary's adorable babies were at the house and I got to enjoy their smiling faces as they chewed on the fresh strawberries. They kept us entertained all day and filled the kitchen with the amazing stories and chatter than can only be produced from the innocence of a three year old. Theary has been talking about strawberries for weeks now so I switched my raspberries to satisfy her craving. The mint came from my tiny balcony garden that I am oh so proud of; and the yogurt was Greek (from the grocery store). The recipe, if you could call it that, is as follows:

handful of fresh fruit (rough chop)
sprig of fresh mint (minced)
pint of yogurt (plain)
honey

mix the first three ingredients together with a tablespoon or two of the honey. Freeze. Scoop and serve with a side of honey to drizzle over the top. yum!

I'm a firm believer that food inspires food and this is no exception. Working with the fresh strawberries made me crave a trip to the strawberry patch to pick my own. Which made me think of a farm a few miles down the road from my house that I've also seen advertising pick your own asparagus. Which makes me think of all the fresh fruits and veggies you can at the farmers markets this time of year. And that makes me wish I could have them all year long. Hence my July 'thing of the month' Pickling and Preserving. I plan to surprise myself with a canning set for my birthday this month. Everyone else can look forward receiving gifts of jams, jellies, sauces, salsas and canned vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment